Friday, November 1, 2019

Trick-Or-Treatathon Wrap Up


Prompts:
1. Costume Party: Read the group book: Coraline by Neil Gaiman
2. Monster Mash: Read a book that has your team mascot on it:
       Cast Long Shadows (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1) by Cassandra Clare**
✔ 3. Fall Foliage: Read a book with fall colors on the cover (red, yellow, orange or brown):
        Can You Stand to be Blessed by T.D. Jakes
4. Spooky Hayride: Read a book that involves a trip or a quest:
       Almost to Freedom by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson (e-book)**
5. Corn Maze: Read a book where someone gets lost and/or finds themselves:
       Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks**
6. Black Cat: Read a book with an animal on the cover:
        The Donkey Cabbages by Brothers Grimm ** (link to my thoughts on goodreads)
7. Spider Webs: Read a book that gives you the heebie jeebies:
8. Scary Movies: Read a book & watch the movie adaptations:

There were also some other activities but I only did a couple. By the middle of the month, I was just not feeling it. My reading took a totally different direction. Bible Study, Nonfiction, Shows I wanted to watch, etc. I didn't do horrible but I had hoped to do better. I guess things happen. Life happens.

Side Notes:
I was team ghost, which meant we had to do the prompts in order. To be honest, Once I hit Fall Foliage, I allowed myself to cheat a little bit and even if I was in the middle of a book but wanted to read something else, I allowed myself to go to the next prompt. Some may have been switched around as well. [See the Safe Haven side note below]
I didn't read many scary books mostly because I just knew my emotions just couldn't handle it. Although I did pick up a book that I didn't realize it was about domestic violence but it was mostly a romance.
I didn't read Coraline because I just didn't have an interest in it. Even with the movie I never had an interest in watching but when I got a sample of the book, it just didn't catch my attention. One day, I may change my mind (as I have that right to do so), but for now, I just think not.
Cast Long Shadows was a novella in the Ghosts of the Shadow Market bind up. I kind of cheated with that one but I had to make things a bit easier on myself plus, the book I chose for this, I just wasn't in a mood for it. I had read the first two books within the last few weeks to a month and didn't want to read another one so soon.
Almost To Freedom is a book about slavery and the Underground Railroad. I chose it because of course I have been wanting to read it for a while and technically, it is about a "trip" up North to freedom. This book is a story told through the eyes of a doll. I gave it a 5/5. No review/ramble done.
Safe Haven: I initially chose this one for Fall Foliage but decided to change it to Corn Maze because it is a story about a woman finding herself after moving to a new town and meeting some wonderful people.
The Donkey Cabbages: I read this one out of a the Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales bind up collection. On this cover, there is a dear, bird and a squirrel. So, I counted this short story as my book for Animal on the cover. On my goodreads thoughts, if you haven't read it already, explains why I decided to read this short story out of the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment