Sunday, October 15, 2017

Jump: Take The Leap Of Faith To Achieve Your Life Abundance by Steve Harvey



About the book:
✥Series/Trilogy/Stand-Alone, etc: Stand Alone
Release Date:  December 24, 2016
✥Setting: N/A
✥Page Count: 224
✥Edition: Hardcover
✥Genre(s): Non-Fiction, Self Help, Business
✥Date(s) Read: 8/24/17-8/30/17

✥Rating: 5/5

My Thoughts:

*This may get a bit long, so, be prepared to get yourself a drink, snack & a comfy place to sit/lay down* 😂

Let me start this off by saying: ILoveSteveHarvey! No, I don't have a crush on him. I just mean that he can make me laugh, owns up to his mistakes, works hard, a believer and loves his family. He isn't perfect and admits to that but he is just someone I would like to have in my sons lives when it would come to male mentors and/or relatives. 

With all he's been through in his life, even with all the recent situations, I love how he chose to handle things, or, to just not give in to the trolls and overly sensitive. 

I first heard of/came across Steve Harvey when he hosted Amateur Night at the Apollo back in the 1990's. I watched his sitcom and listened to his radio show throughout the years. I didn't listen every morning over the years because, well, I would just plain forget and/or I would usually watch the news or something else in the mornings as I'd get ready to go do what I needed to do and/or get my older son ready for school, etc. But now, I do listen a lot more often in the mornings if I'm up early enough to catch his show. He is the highlight of my weekdays when I do listen. His whole morning crew is hilarious to me, especially since J. Anthony Brown joined the team. 

But, I digress. 

With all of my gushing over him done, kind of, let's get into my thoughts on the book. I have read all of his other books and enjoyed them and this one is no different really. Except, that I think this one is my favorite of them all! 

The way he talks about his wife Marjorie just amazes me. Whether it's in this book, listening to him in the mornings or when I see him on t.v., he talks about his wife like every man should be able to talk about the woman he is with (and vice versa). The changes he has made in his own life with the help of her and God is amazing. His motivation to help young men in single parent households and to help people period, another thing I truly like about him. I don't always agree with him but I have a level of respect for him that I don't have for many. Especially after reading this book.

I did watch the video he did talking to the Family Feud audience about jumping and was just touched (video linked below)! When I found out he wrote a book, I got excited and could barely wait to get it. It took me a while to get it because of finances being tight but when I got it, I read it immediately and zipped right through it when I did take time to read. If I had read it daily, I probably would have finished it within a couple of days. Some days, when I did read, I didn't read long, so, that's why it took me a while to read it. It really is an easy read.

I do have an anxiety about stepping out and doing things and as I was reading this book, the anxiety would creep in as I thought about the ways I could step out to have a better life (in every area of my life). I would have to just breathe and remind myself that I can do it, one small step at a time, starting with my blog even (making sure it's better and making good changes as time goes on). 

This book will probably be a book I go back to from time to time just to remind myself that I need to Jump and step out on what I want to do in life. I literally do have anxiety, so, some things are a little harder for me than others because my anxiety and still some level of low self esteem will stop me. Although my self worth is a lot higher than it used to be but I still have my struggles. It's people and books like this that help me move forward. I'm not sure what my 'gift' is, but when I figure it out and it's time for me to jump, I pray that I am great at it and don't take too long to jump! With my depression and anxiety, I do like helping others with it sometimes and trying to help them find ways to laugh their way through it (Steve is one of my go to people when I need to laugh)! Now, with that, I do have to be careful about how much I deal with those with depression because I know how easily I can fall into it but I do feel better when I am able to help others (I mean that humbly).

Hopefully, I will be able to apply this book to my life and eventually see it manifest in my life. This may have to be my word for next year when I do my New Year's Resolution One Word Challenge. A word that I focus on and try to work on every year for the last few years now. 

I can say that if you need that little extra push and motivation to get you to step out on what you feel like you've been wanting to step out to do, then Jump is the book to read. It reads really smoothly and quickly. Can repeat itself a little, but for me, not much. 

Okay, well, I guess I talked more about Steve himself than I did the book but I guess there is a reason for that. But, I did say that this one was my favorite of all the books I've read by him right? For me, this one was just the best one. I'm not sure if it's because of the content in it, because I needed it right now or, all of the above. Of all his books, this is the only one I own and I don't think that's by accident. I believe this book is meant to be on my shelf as a go back to. 

But, I am done rambling on. Thank you for everyone who read this far, for...well...reading this far. 


                               Steve talking to the Family Feud audience during a break about "Jumping":





No comments:

Post a Comment