Monday, February 26, 2018

Malcolm X: The Last Speeches (Speeches and Writings) by Malcolm X


About This Book:
Goodreads Summary
Format: Audible
Genre: History, Non-Fiction, Politics, Cultural/African American
Date(s) Read: 2/23-2/24
Rating: 5/5 

My Thoughts:

I've always loved Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz). Our spiritual beliefs are different but there was always a respect there that I had for him. To know all that he went through to get to where he was as a Muslim in the N.O.I. then after going to Mecca and see the change him after that always amazed me. The intelligence. The thinker. The maturing. I did read the Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley & of course, saw the movie (Still tear up at the end, even though I know what's going to happen). 

I always enjoyed listening to his speeches and hearing him talk. Again, I may not always agree what he says but I do understand why he felt the way he did. Growing up Christian, it was truly taboo that I liked a Muslim man and respected what the N.O.I. did for black men and women and how many were able to change their lives around for the better. It drove my mother nuts that I liked him so much! I guess she thought I would become a Muslimah and didn't have a mind of my own! But ssshhh....you didn't read that from me! lol

Always wishing the Christian community could and would do the same thing. Teaching women how to take care of home and their children (dear feminists, there are some of us who still enjoy taking care of home while being able to be who we are as a woman and individual). Also while teaching the men how to be men, fathers, husbands etc. If our beliefs weren't so different, chances are, I'd be right in there with them and I'd have my sons around as many of the men as possible. 

Now, just because  I have a respect for the N.O.I. doesn't mean that I or all N.O.I. members are racists, because that's not the case. At all. I just see something I wish I had grown up with. The positive discipline taught from early on in life. 

But, I am supposed to be talking about this short audio..right? Well, of course, I enjoyed it. It wasn't much more than an hour long so it was easy to listen to. I started late February 23 and finished February 24. I started in the night before just because I wanted to hear some of the speeches then but also had other stuff I wanted/needed to do and I was also getting tired. 

These speeches were talking about so many things that were still going  on today, 50+ years later. That is truly sad. If anyone decides to listen, you have to take what you don't agree with and just push it to the side and really listen to what he is saying while thinking about all the things that are happening today while making comparisons. And the saying: "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" fits perfectly with a lot of what he speaks on. 

This is a favorite for 2018 & beyond I'm sure! 



No comments:

Post a Comment