Monday, April 15, 2019

The Moon & More by Sarah Dessen


About This Book:
Goodreads Summary
Stand-Alone
Release Date: June 4, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Setting: Colby, NC
Page Count: 435
Genre(s): YA, Contemporary Romance, Realistic Fiction
Date(s) Read: 4/13/19-4/15/19
Rating:   
Book:  3/5    Audio: 4.5/5   Narrator(s): Allie Gallerani

My Thoughts:
-O.W.L.s Magical ReadathonHerbology-Plant on the Cover
-Big Book Challenge (Goodreads)
-Audiobookathon (Finished it on the first day of the Audiobookathon (yep, I'm counting it!). Although I listened to more than 30 minutes of it today (to get it finished), I won't count it. It will just be part of the Readathon. It doesn't really fit any of the prompts)

Audio:
Not a whole lot to say about her other than I liked her and thankfully, she helped me get through this book. 

Book:
I enjoyed this one. Some characters were beyond annoying but beyond them, I liked the book. Some things that happened were pretty obvious what was going to happen when some characters popped into the book but I preferred those characters over others. I really and truly did not like Emaline's biological father. Good gracious he was a but hole and a half! I'm glad he didn't make too many appearances in the book but when he did I was ready to kick him in the shin! But, maybe that's just my personality speaking. Needing people around who are less pushy and just all around butt hole'ish. I liked Emaline enough. She could be a bit much but no where near as "bad" as some of the people around her. 

I had gotten sick for a couple days so I couldn't do a whole lot of listening to the book for a day or so but once I was able to listen, I was able to do a lot of listening. Her books are books that I have to have an audio book to get through them or otherwise, I wouldn't finish them. I want to get through her books because although many I am iffy with, her writing style can be really good. Sometimes, it's her characters that irk the mess out of me, like this book. I doubt I would have finished it if I were able to read the books on my own because the characters would have made me DNF it.There were more annoying ones than good ones and those seemed to have been the ones that showed up most. Of all the characters, I may have liked her parents (mom and "step" dad), Emaline, Morris and Benji. I kind of liked the best friend. Her sister, Amber, was the worst for me. I won't even get into details as not to spoil anything but she made me want to not only shake her but snatch her up! I am typically not a fighting kind of person but sometimes, some folks you just know they will make you want to fight! She was one of them! 

Ahem...sorry....I digress....

Some redeemed themselves. Some didn't. But the book wasn't a total bust. I liked it & Emaline's growth. As usual with Sarah Dessen books, I have my issues but I still like them well enough to finish them. Not favorites but still good. I haven't had a favorite from her since the first book from her that I read The Truth About Forever. I guess I go into all of her books hoping for that love that I had for this one. I am always hoping to find that family that is in this book. I think Keeping the Moon came close but ended up just fell flat in some parts for me. I have at least one more book that I want to read that I already own (Once & For All) but I know not to go into it expecting much. There's one due to come out soon (The Rest of the Story) & two others I just found that I will look into to see if it peaks my interest (Infinity - which appears to be really short. Reading someones reply to a question, only 32 pages long and the rest of the book is just excerpts to her other books. And How to Deal). 

There is at least one other book she has (Dreamland) that I am not sure about because if I am remembering some things correctly, it is about a topic I am not quite sure I can handle. When I read, I try to stay somewhat out of reality. Maybe one day, I can pick it up when I think I am ready for it and I can immediately go to a happier topic. Whether that be another book or even a t.v. show. I guess that's my anxiety taking over when I really don't want to read about certain topics I grew up seeing and/or been through myself or knew someone who has. But, other than the 4 mentioned that are already out,  that I am at least semi interested in, I have pretty much caught up on her books. Two of which, I read this month. 

Went too far left again I guess.

With all that said, this book does get a strong 3 out of me. More for the characters I did like over the ones I didn't and the fact that she can tackle some tough topics sometimes and make the unlikable characters, truly unlikable. Sometimes though, when I read contemporary, I like the mushy stuff. Maybe because I am not that mushy person in 'real life'. lol...I used to be one that wasn't into the straight out romance stuff. I liked paranormal, urban drama with romance (the Nikki Turner's), etc. But I am finally able to get more into the contemporary romance but most of the time, I do need the audio books to finish them but heck, that seems to be with most books these days. It's so much easier to listen to books while you're still living your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment