Thursday, June 13, 2019

The Reptile Room (Series of Unfortunate Events #2) by Lemony Snickett



About This Book:
Goodreads Summary
Series: #2
Release Date: September 30, 1999
Format: Hardcover
Setting: Lousy Lane
Page Count: 192
Genre(s): Fiction, Children's, Fantasy
Date(s) Read: 6/12-6/13/19
Rating:   
Book:   3/5    Audio:  4.5/5    Narrator(s): Tim Curry

My Thoughts:
Golden Girls Readathon
#GGTeamSophia-Read a book under 200 pages

Seasonal Reading Challenge: Summer 2019
-Letter "R"


Audio:

I liked him. He made it easier to get through this book. 

Book:

[Some parts may have been typed up as I listened to the book]


The first book was annoying to me because of the constant explanation of words. I guess if you are young when reading this, explanations may be needed and young audiences were meant to be reading these books. I had to remind myself of that which is what made me want to continue and had me continue. Doing the audio books I thought would make it easier and, well, so far, I'm correct. 
Although this one was much better than the first, it still was just okay for me. I don't remember being very fond of the book but I still wanted to know how the series ended and if I decided to watch the series, I'd know what to expect with it. Unless it gets better with each book, I really don't see myself putting this down as a favorite but more of an "I finally got it done" type of accomplishment. 
I think I am looking at this from a 44 year old's brain and not the targeted children's/early teens age group. The almost constant explanation was still a bit annoying because I think it's more of a filler but at the same time, I get why he does it. It's because it's for his targeted audience and trying to teach them something while entertaining them as well. 
I do believe I get why it is so popular though. It has that bit of mystery of what's going to happen next. The kids are good kids, smart & pretty easy to like. You can't help but love them. Some of the adults are well, a bit dimwitted. And the villain(s) are easy to dislike, which is the point I guess. 
I will take this book by book and see if I can get through the rest of the series. Hopefully I will be able to but they seem to go so slow for me, even for short books, they seem to almost drag on but I guess that's more me than the books....Kind Of.... 



No comments:

Post a Comment