Friday, August 9, 2019

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor #1) by Jessica Townsend




About This Book:
Goodreads Summary
📍Trilogy/Series: #1
📍Release Date: October 12, 2017
📍Format: Hardcover
📍Setting: Nevermoor
📍Page Count: 461
📍Genre(s): Middle Grade, Fiction, Fantasy, Children's
📍Date(s) Read: 8/6-8/9/19
📍Rating:   
Book:   4.75/5     Audio:  4.75/5     Narrator(s): Gemma Whelan


📌N.E.W.T's, Magical Readathon 2019:Book that starts with a Prologue
📌Big Book Challenge (Book over 400 pages)

My Rambles:

As far as the narrator goes, I liked her but because I couldn't speed up the audio book (had to use CD audio books), it drove me a bit nuts. I loved her voice, I just couldn't stand how much of a slow pace I had to listen. I would have at least tried it at 1.2/1.25 speed. I may not have been able to do much higher because she did have a [lovely] accent. 


I really did enjoy this book! There was a Harry Potter vibe to it but still held it's own in writing and lovable characters! For the vibes/few 'similarities', there was a huge difference.  As much as I like Harry Potter, I can say this first book in this trilogy (or series, not sure what it's going to be), I like quite a bit more. And again, I like Harry Potter, a lot..I just don't have the fanatic love for it that so many seem to and that, is  not a bad thing, because I get it. The Harry Potter series is a great series. How many times am I going to say that? Y'all get it right? I like Harry Potter! 


If these books carry on the way this one did, I will probably become a fanatic of a middle grade series/trilogy. But, I will try not to get my hopes too high. It had it's imperfections but I still adored this not so little book. I love Marrigan, Jupiter and Hawthorn..and oh..that cat! Even with the sneezes I would get being around Fen, I still adore that cat! 


There are some things that could be considered scary to younger children and maybe more sensitive children but it's not horrible. I would suggest any parent read the book first if you know you have a more sensitive child. If you know someone who has read the book and knows your child well, ask them about some of the more "Scarier" parts (without giving spoilers). Ages I might recommend this for? Maybe about 3rd grade or so. Again, depending on the child. But I'd still wouldn't recommend it for those under 2nd grade (right at the time chapter books become a bit more important). Which reminds me, the chapters are kind of long and maybe to help along, listen to the audio book/CD. You might have to keep track by writing down where you left off because (the CD at least), doesn't end on chapters. It breaks up the chapters (if you pick it up, you might understand better what I mean)

Well, I went on a ramble about the CD and stuff...😁

So, overall, I can say that I loved the story and looking forward to getting to the other book. Of course, I have some others I need to get to first and get some more books off of my TBR (ones I own and the ones checked out from the library), before trying to go on to the other. Hopefully, by the end of this month, I will have done that and/or decided to unhaul some more books I know I won't get to any time soon and can always rent them from the library.

Thanks for reading this far!

Happy Reading,

Bridget





No comments:

Post a Comment