Sunday, January 12, 2020

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle

About This Book:
Goodreads Summary
📌Stand-Alone: (Mostly)
📌Release Date: 8/19/04 (First Published in 1997)
📌Format: Paperback
📌Setting: N/A
📌Page Count: 240 (including acknowledgements, etc)
📌Genre(s): Nonfiction, Spirituality, Self Help, Philosophy, Psychology
📌Date(s) Read: (Finished) 1/12/20
📌Rating:   
Book:  4.5/5   Audio:  5/5  Narrator(s): Eckhart Tolle, 

Popsugar Reading Challenge (fits 3)
-a book with at least a 4-star rating on Goodreads
-a book by an author who has written more than 20 books
-a book with more than 20 letters in the title (I included the subtitle as well)
Seasonal Reading Challenge (Winter)

My Rambles:

Let me start by stating that this book is mostly viewed as a stand alone I believe but there was a book written after this one was first published called Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now. Of course, seeing that I just finished The Power of Now, I have yet to read Practicing the Power of Now. But, it would seem to be more of a companion than a series or anything and I am not sure how many books connect back to the Power of Now...I think I just got really confusing so I'm going to stop here on that part. 

I originally began reading this book in about October 2019 I think it was, listened to it throughout much of November for Non-Fiction November, had issues with Hoopla throughout December so didn't finish it then. I just took my time getting through it and finally decided to push myself through it to get it done before I got bored (as I tend to do when I take too long to get books finished).

I am not quite sure what to say about this book. I loved listening to it and 'learning' new ways on handling things and remaining in the Now/Present. Some things are hard to wrap my head around when I read it but I took his advice from early on in the book and tried not to use my mind to understand everything, just allow the words to go in and not try to always understand or rationalize everything. 

This is a book I originally rented from the library but there was too much going on and I needed to allow to sink in & I didn't want to rush through it. So, I bought the book. This will be a book I will re-read/listen to over again to get what I may have missed before. I'm sure with every re-read, there will be something 'new' I can get out of it the next time. 

I can tell anyone who has not read this book, don't go into it expecting to wrap your mind around everything that he says, some things may seem confusing...Just keep reading/listening. Pick up what you can and go back over it again if you need to after reading it the first time. It can seem a bit confusing if you've never dealt with anything like his teachings before, which is the case for me. Don't go in expecting for yourself to breeze through it, go into it wanting and expecting to take your time with it. 

The only reason it didn't get a full 5/5 stars for me was because there were some things I didn't quite agree with it. Overall though, I really enjoyed the book and I'm glad I picked it up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment