Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

About this book:
Series/Trilogy/Stand-Alone, etc:  Stand Alone
Release Date:  April 11, 2017
Setting:  Washington, DC
Page Count:  344
Edition: Hardcover
Genre(s): YA, Romance, Contemporary, LGBT
Date(s) Read: 12/6/17-12/14/17
Rating: 
 Book: 2.50 /5    Audio:  3.5/5    Narrator:  Arielle DeLisle


My Thoughts:

Audio:

She's good, her voice could be a bit annoying to me sometimes but she was good enough to get me through the book, a book I may not have finished otherwise. Even with audio, it was a struggle. 

Book:

*Won this in a Booklikes give-a-way. *

I was frustrated, so many times that I didn't want to finish this book because the language and annoying twin sister with her annoying pushiness. I guess she meant well but I guess for me, I don't really like pushy people. What made me continue when I was really close to DNF'ing the book? Believe it or not, a joke about condoms even though I felt like the parts about sex were just annoying to me, I don't know what it was. I guess I went into the book wanting/expecting something different, maybe that's why it got on my nerves so much. 

I've seen reviews where people say Molly got on their nerves but for me, it was Cassie. She was just overbearing and annoying. I actually related to Molly and liked her. Yes, she had her moments that could make you want to shake her but I actually understood her. At 43 years old, I understand what it is to bite your tongue with people because you really don't want to hurt peoples feelings and avoid confrontation. Then, once I get sick and tired of people, I will eventually snap. 

Reid. Dear sweet Reid! I loved him from the moment he was introduced to the story and loved him even more as the story went on. I was rooting for him from the moment he showed up. Not anyone else! 

Again, I am in a position that I can't really say much without giving away more than I already have of this story. So, I won't say anything else about it except that Reid and Molly and the fact that I wanted to know how it ended is what kept me reading. Plus, the fact that I had the audio book, second book this month, that I wasn't trying to trade in again with audible.  I have been finding myself sticking through books I'm not liking a heck of a lot more than I used to. I guess I am tired of DNF'ing books and wondering what happened but I'm also a bit frustrated I'm wasting my time on books that are just Okay, if that.  The only reason I think I finished this book was that (1) I was curious about what was going to happen and (2) I liked Molly and Reid. A Lot! I loved the parents too and most of the other characters except Cassie. She became less of a pain closer to the end but for the reasons stated above is why I wasn't wild about her. 




No comments:

Post a Comment