Sunday, March 24, 2019

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen (Spoiler'ish)


About This Book:
Goodreads Summary
Stand-Alone
Release Date: May 5, 2015
Format: Hardcover
Setting: Lakeview, NC
Page Count: 417
Genre(s): YA, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Date(s) Read: 3/22- 3/24/19
Rating:  
Book:   3/5     Audio:  5/5     Narrator(s): Taylor Meskimen


My Thoughts:

Spoilers aren't too bad but I'd still go in knowing that, if you're anything like me, the slightest thing can "ruin" a story. Especially if you like going in knowing as little as possible. 

Audio:
I liked her. She was easy to listen to, even at 1.5 speed. 

Book:



Well, to say the least, this book annoyed me in many places. I was also conflicted in those places. As a parent, I get it but at the same time, as a parent, I wanted to shake these parents!  I try to learn from my own mistakes with my sons hoping I haven't done too much damage along the way, while also apologizing (no, I do not abuse, neglect or mistreat my sons. I just know I am not a perfect parent). Sydney's parents got on my nerves for different reasons. Mom tended to focus more on their son than their daughter then acted surprised when Sydney acted out the rare times she did. Dad, he tended not to stand up to mom when he should have. He tended to tune out most stuff. 

The main reason I picked up this book is because I tend to love when the main character meets another family and becomes close to them. I am finding with a couple books though (this one included), the main characters family irks the mess out of me (which I guess is the point). 

The ending is a bit open ended so I don't know if there is another story or option for a story to continue on after this one (haven't read all of her books and I've read many out of publication order). 

That 3/5 is not quite a strong 3/5 but the book doesn't quite deserve less either. It had it's strong points for me (mostly Sydney and the family she became close to) but it had major weaknesses for me. 

Just know, there is a guy in the story that is pretty creepy and soon after him showing up in the story, you know he has his eye on Sydney. And that was another thing that made it kind of hard for me because of course, I can of saw what was coming, but just didn't know when or how far he'd get.

Overall, the story was decent. I doubt this would be a book I'd reread or keep on my shelves but it was very much worth the listen.  This book is for the #springintoreadingathon2019



No comments:

Post a Comment