Wednesday, March 27, 2019

The Taking by Dean Koontz


About This Book:
Goodreads Summary   
Stand-Alone
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Setting: California
Page Count: 399
Genre(s):Thriller, Horror, Fiction
Date(s) Read:  3/25-3/27/19
Rating:   
Book:  4.5/5      Audio:   5/5       Narrator: Ari Meyers

My Thoughts:
Reading for:
March Mystery Madness 


Popsugar Reading ChallengeA book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature

(I give a the slightest of spoilers. There is a description in a chapter (which is explaining why I put this book under the PSRC prompt) and I name that chapter but that is at the bottom of the page. I don't describe anything beyond that so it is up to you to read that part or not. It may not be a big spoiler but it does give some level of information although not much)

Audio:
I liked her a lot. Very easy voice to listen to. In my opinion, good voice for the character. Doesn't sound weak or "way too strong". Good middle ground. Especially for what the character has been through. 


Book:
(As per my usual lately, I started typing this out as I was listening to the book)

I wasn't quite sure what I would think of the book but it started off pretty strong, stayed at that level and kept my attention. Knew nothing of what it was about other than some type of "The Mist" thing going on. You know something is coming/here, but what? (I am not saying it is exactly like The Mist, but that is what I thought of when I read the synopsis/started reading it and the closest description I have).

There was one part that was a bit graphic but not overly so. Just enough of a description to give you an idea of the image you needed.  There wasn't an over usage of curse words which I liked. I liked the main two characters. They weren't over done on the good or bad side. Again, another great middle ground for them. Just enough of a history of Molly to get an understanding of why her thought process was the way it was and why she acted as she did. They both had a good amount of common sense but yet, you could tell they didn't always know what they were doing and not know it all's. 

There were some parts that were drawn out but some things, it was good to hear them because it explained why some things were happening. Some not so interesting parts but I guess that is to be expected in some books I guess. 


As of my typing this, I am 21 22 chapters in. I can say that as of now, this is a strong 3.5 to 4/5 stars. It's good. Entertaining. Now, without the narration, I may not enjoy it as much but because of the narration, I am able to enjoy it more. Which for me, when I am reading books I am not used to, narrations do a lot of good for me to get through those types of books. This is my first Koontz book and I am glad that I picked this one up. Of the ones I was looking at the day I got this, it was the most interesting. I have been wanting to read one of his books for years. It's just hard for me to pick up male authors because sometimes, many tend to get overly detailed for me personally. I am wanting to get into more male authors though. I am tired of limiting myself. I am hoping to be able to get at least a few more of his books read and under my "Books I've Read" belt. If for no other reason but to say "I've read him. He is pretty good". Dekker, Peretti are two more authors I have only read a couple books of (one of which they wrote together) & loved those. They are the reason I knew I wanted to do more of male authors. Brandon Sanderson is another author I am looking forward to more of his books. I've read one, got another on my shelf. So, saying all of that, I realize why Koontz and Sanderson are so popular! All of their books may not be for everyone, but they are still really good, if not great, writers. 

(Another off the topic of this particular book tangent...huh? Sorry, but not...lol)

At about chapter 47 or so, I began to lose interest. I think it was more me than the book. I had gone to McDonald's to just sit and get out the apartment for an hour or two & the internet wasn't working so I couldn't listen to the book (where I had the audio was online so I couldn't download it). I think because of that, my mind felt like I could have been further along and it got "ruined", plus, I was ready to get to another book but I knew I needed to get further in the book before I could lay down and read my other book (no audio book for it at all, even the author explained why there wasn't one). But the book was still good. It had me still interested in how it ended and thinking about the dogs in the story, I couldn't help but wonder if there was more to it than what it was. 

As of me typing this up, I don't know if any of his books became movies, especially this one, but I would like to see this book be turned into a movie. I know there have been movies similar to this done (A lot of alien movies, The Mist, etc) but I'd like to see it be done and done well. Maybe someone with the abilities of Spielberg, even if it isn't Spielberg himself. And of course, a great writer. Done in a way that we know it will be done right. Even if they don't get big name actors, they could still stand to get actors that will play the parts well. Give some new faces or lesser known names/faces a chance (jobs! jobs! jobs!).

By the end, I was still a little bit lost about why things happened the way they did but the main character had my same thoughts. But my assumption? Maybe they felt like the ones who were in "The Taking" were the ones that needed to go in order for others to make the world a better place. To test the others who were to remain to make sure the ones left behind, knew they were strong enough to handle whatever comes. Then, there were many who had talents to rebuild things so that they can eventually flourish again. But, heck, I don't know, that is an assumption. I could be totally off.

Well, this was a very unusual and so totally out of my comfort zone kind of book. I really enjoyed getting to know Koontz's writing. I am looking forward to trying to find some more books of his that I can enjoy. Hopefully I will be able to find at least a small handful of books of all his books that I can get through and be able to gush about those as well! I am not expecting to love or even finish all books I start, I am just looking for some that can keep me as entertained as this one did. Not a favorite, but I really did like it a lot none the less. 

The final chapter had me thinking of things very much differently. And that an associate of mine may not be too far off with her way of thinking about some things but yet, I can't help but think, is she totally right or does it only apply to certain ones/things? And do I really want to know the answer to the first part of that question? Not sure. But it's still interesting to think about.


☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

Why I chose to put this book for this prompt under the Popsugar Reading Challenge
"A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature"

(may be pushing it here but what is described, as far as I know, does not exist. Although in a way, some form of it may, just not this particular form. If you have read this book, you may know what I speak of. The initial description in chapter 22. By what is described, there is some type of "creature" there)



No comments:

Post a Comment