Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson


About This Book:
Goodreads Summary
📍Series: #1
📍Release Date: May 13, 2014
📍Format: Mass Market Paperback
📍Setting: Luthadel
📍Page Count: 647
📍Genre(s): high/epic fantasy, fiction
📍Date(s) Read: (Finished):  7/17/19
📍Rating:  
Book: 3.25/5  Audio: 4 /5   Narrator(s): Michael Kramer

My Rambles:

(I started this book towards the end of April but had to put it down in early May because I was losing interest & just needed a break)

I liked it but it was not a favorite by any means. I loved the characters though. I just didn't have much love for it as I did with Warbreaker. I think my reading Warbreaker, helped me to understand this book a bit more. So, I am glad I read it first because if I hadn't, I may not have finished this book because I didn't like it as much but also, because I do understand things more. I didn't dislike Mistborn, it just wasn't as fun for me as previous mentioned. 

Maybe one day, I may decide to reread this book. When I am ready for the 'denseness' of it all. Seems like he writes a lot of books in the "same world"..maybe not the exact same characters but the "Lord Rulers", "Inquisitors", etc. I am still interested in trying the second and third book in this series. I will take it book by book on whether I continue or not. This may have been better if it were about 100-150 pages shorter. It will make you root for everyone in this book wanting to do right by the people and get rid of powers that be that have a negative hold on the people they "rule over". I loved Vin's growth throughout the book and watching her confidence begin to grow as she began to see why some did what they did. I think she even began to understand some betrayals that took place throughout her life (not too much of a spoiler, you know books like this, will have some betrayals along the way). There was some level of "love interest" in the book but didn't dominate the story. So, for those that like their fantasy with character building & light on the romance, this would be perfect. They do focus a lot on the characters themselves. I don't remember a whole lot speaking of the world itself but in this particular book,it has an "allomancy" chart and things in alphabetical order explaining what is what (i.e.- what a "coinshot" is). Reading it, you should get some understanding of the world they live in without an issue but as I stated before, reading Warbreaker helped me understand a lot. There were quite a few differences of course but the things that may have confused me, were still similar enough for me to go into it without a lot of questions later. 

I liked the narrator but I kept having to slow down the audio book down to 1.2-1.6 because his slight accent made it hard to understand some parts.This may have been a better book with dual narrators...maybe....because it was sometimes a dual point of view but mostly Vin's (female). But, that's just my personal opinion. I could also be wrong. Especially seeing that the POV would change in the middle of a chapter.

The ending was...well....a good one! That's all I will say on that one! :o)

It will be a while before I go on to book two in this series but I do have the second and third books already as I had found them in my favorite used book store for $3.00 for the box set of three. I had my  favorite cover at the time but got rid of it after I found the box set. I didn't see the point of having two copies of the same book. If I finish all three books and find the copies I love for those three, I will replace them then and donate these I have some where else or put them in a 'little free library'. I know these books can be kind of hard to find at a good price and like so many, I am on a tight budget, so, why not donate somewhere that someone can get them for a good price or free (yes, there is the library, but if people don't have that easy access to the local library, for any reason, it's good to have used book stores, little free libraries, etc..plus, some, like me, like owning some of their favorites). If I get through the third book and enjoy it, I will look for the fourth book & so on. 

Thanks for reading this. If you haven't read his books, they are worth the reading! If you don't know where to start...Try Warbreaker (my thoughts linked). It's not in a series yet and some of the characters are really funny. Still dense but it was hard to completely put down, even when I wanted to read other books and I think I did but picked it back up again soon after.

Well, my ramblings are done. And, I actually was able to give better ideas on what I thought about the book! lol..Still went on a ramble beyond the book, but, I guess that's how I do sometimes....






My favorite cover:

Or, I'd go after these covers:




No comments:

Post a Comment