Friday, June 4, 2021

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

 About This Book

Summary
📌Stand-Alone
📌Release Date: June 1, 1970 (first published)
📌Format: Hardcover & Audiobook
📌Setting: Georgia (I think. Didn't pay attention to that part of it really)
📌Page Count: 216
📌Genre(s): classic, fiction, historical fiction, African American
📌Date(s) Read: 5/31-6/4/21
📌Rating:   
Book:  4.75/5   Audio: 4.75 /5  Narrator(s)
: Toni Morrison

I'm not sure what I can possibly say about this book beyond it was very hard to take. The reality of how things can be in this crazy world. The things you wished didn't happen but do. The ways so many of us treat each other and many of us wish we didn't. A story of hurt, pain, tragedy, not knowing how to properly love others, or yourself. A book of confusion sometimes for me, mostly because I think I tuned out sometimes and that made me get a bit lost. A beautifully written but sad story. A sad story of a sweet little girl who was always told she was ugly. Mistreated by many. Loved by few but not knowing how to properly show it as I said earlier. There are so many emotions that can be placed on this book I'm sure, many I am not even sure how to put down here. 

Not sure how to even feel right now beyond what I already said. I'm just, I don't know, broken for this sweet little girl and all of the hurt she had to deal with. What the parents and family went through themselves. Helped you to some what understand why things are the way they are but still not fully, really getting it. 

At least, not for me. 

I get a lot of the hurt and pain, the dysfunction. We all deal with some level of dysfunction in life I guess. I had to deal with my own throughout childhood, teen years and into adulthood. I do my best to keep my mental health in tact as best I can, which I why I am very careful about the books I read and now, the shows I watch. I limit the shows I watch even more than before now. 

It will probably be a while before I read another Morrison book because I can see she is one who knows how to write to just break your heart. I watched Beloved when I was younger and that one scared the mess out of me and broke my heart all at once. Not sure I will make another attempt to read that book. Now that I know what to expect, I can go into her books expecting trauma and tragedy of some sort. I will stop here and just say that, if you haven't read her books but want to, be prepared and have some things that will make you laugh along the way and lighten up the mood. For me, that will be some romance books, comedy of some kind and maybe an episode or so of Gilmore Girls or Family Reunion (both on Netflix. Yes, I have Netflix still)

(Don't let the O.B.C. sticker stop you from reading it if she is an issue for you. Look past that and read it anyway if you have an interest in this book)


No comments:

Post a Comment