Tuesday, September 3, 2019

N.E.W.T.'s Magical Readathon 2019 Wrap Up


What does N.E.W.T.'s stand for
[A] Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test

Now, onto to how things went for me starting a little before N.E.W.T.'s began and up until the last day of the testing.

Well, when I did my last post for the N.E.W.T.'s  (linked) stating the career(s) I wanted, the possible books I'd be reading, I thought I understand everything that needed to be done....Until.....I realized...I didn't! So, the day before the N.E.W.T.'s were to start, I was scrambling to get things together! I ended up changing careers. Realized it was suggested that we pick just one and evidently my "scanning" over the sheets she had done was not the best idea because I realized (After watching some videos stating things that I had no clue what was going on), I had missed a lot! lol...So, I took the time to read through as much as I could (it's hard for me to read on the computer and trying to read it on my kindle was a pain). 

So, finally, after I got things figured out mostly and also asking some questions, I got things together. I had to switch books for some but that's okay, things worked out for the better in that area. 

So, which career did I end up going with? HEALER

At the time, it seemed to be the easiest because it was all E's..Then I came to the realization (videos, someone on twitter and also reading the documents), that I had to make sure I did the A's and the E's in order to pass! So, a little more scrambling! I didn't focus so hard on the O's. I made sure I got done what needed to be done doing the O's as I could, hoping I could get it all done by the end of the month. 

How did I do?!?!

Well, let's see....

☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕


HEALER

(If I did a 'review', it will be linked)

(The required prompts are highlighted)

Herbology:
(A) Mandrake! Quick, put your headphones on! Listen to an audiobook
         Every Breath You Take by Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke
(E) Read a book between 350-390 pages
         The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
(O) Read a book with a flower on the cover

         Maybe This Time by Kasie West
         
    Charms
✔(A) Read a book you think has a gorgeous cover
         Hansel and Gretel by the Brothers Grimm**
(E) Read a comic/graphic novel/manga (or read a book under 150 pages)
         Archie #635: Occupy Riverdale by Alex Segura
(O) Spongify (softening charm): read a paperback
        Assault & Beret (Hat Shop Mystery #5) by Jenn McKinlay

Defense Against the Dark Arts (D.A.D.A.):
(A) Book that's black under the dust jacket
        Breaking Dawn (Twilight #4) by Stephenie Meyer**
(E) Gilderoy's memory charm (grab a pen!): First book you think of on your TBR:**
        Copy Cap Murder by Jenn McKinlay
(O) Cornish Pixie! Swat it away with a book by an English author or set in England
         Dead & Breakfast by Kate Kingsbury**

Potions:
(A) Polly Juice Potion: Read your friends favorite book: 
        Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss** (no review done)
(E) House Ingredient: Book with a cover in your Hogwart's Color:**
         Short & Skinny by Mark Tatulli
(O) Book that starts with a prologue

         Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor #1) by Jessica Townsend

Transfiguration:
(A) Read a book with LGBTQ+ Representation
         The Voicemail of Magnus Bane** by Cassandra Clare 
(ERead a book that's NOT first in a series:
         You Don't Own Me by Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke
(O) McGonagall does not mess around! Read a book over 500 pages:
         Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor #2) by Jessica Townsend

☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕

Extra

Divination:
(O): Read the last book you brought or took from your library:
        Twilight (Graphic Novel, Vol. 1) by Stephenie Meyer (adapted by Young Kim)                                      (http://booklikes.com/ link)

Muggle Studies
(O): Read a book by a person of color
       Becoming by Michelle Obama(This could have got a couple of spots under muggle studies but decided to go with this one)

☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕

Finished early and ended to read books that that I wanted to take my time with so I wouldn't get into a slump.  

Some explanations:

**Polly Juice Potion: Here, I had to go by Booktubers. Either one's that were directly said they were favorites and/or were recommended/talked about a lot (if there is a specific person mentioned,then I give their name and/or link to their channel). I don't have very many friends and the few I have, don't read much if at all. If they read, we don't have similar tastes. My mother reads but we don't have the same taste in books mostly. One of my younger sisters reads but with her having little ones (9 & 2), us not really talking much  (yes, we get along..she's busy and I don't like talking on the phone much)...I really don't know what she likes to read anymore. The Book I chose was one of Zoe's (readbyZoe) favorite books when she was young, so I chose that one. 

**Gilderoy's memory charm: This one got kind of tricky for me because I couldn't remember all of my TBR and what went where, so, I had to look through my books and one of the first books my eyes landed on was The Search for Wondla, so, that's the one I tried for (any changes will of course be there). I decided to go with Copy Cap Murder because it was a short book and that has been on my "TBR" for the longest, even if it wasn't on my physical TBR. I was trying to finish the series I already started. 

**House Ingredient: Splat (As shown below) is a children's book with a mostly yellow cover. I borrowed it from the library (planned on taking it home but ended up reading it there and just dropping it into the box). I like to make things as easy as possible, whenever possible! (life has enough challenges!) lol...

**Breaking Dawn: This is a re-read and a book that also goes with the Big Book challenge another reading challenge/group I am a part of on Goodreads.

**Hansel and Gretel: I read this story from a bind up of The Grimm's Fairy Tales Collection. Which has a gorgeous cover (below). I chose this one because it was easiest to get to and many of my other books I already owned could go with other prompts and this fit for gorgeous cover best. I didn't want to risk being held back waiting on library books just in case time ran short for me looking for gorgeous covers.

**The Voicemail of Magnus Bane: My thoughts are linked to Goodreads because that's where I did the original post. Not much said but if you are still interested in my rating, etc, then go ahead and click. 😊 

**Dead & Breakfast: The author, although now living in the States, was born and raised in England, then moved to the States in the 1960's, so, I counted it as I didn't want to re-read any other books again (the few I own that are in England..i.e.-Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling just to name one [series]). I am trying to use these readathons to get through books I own/on my TBR (physical or otherwise), continuing to re-read, isn't helping my TBR! (Although I am unhauling a lot of books that I keep putting off and will just get them from the library if I want to read them, if I like them, I will re-buy)..ahem, another tangent/ramble...lol


☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕

Book Covers:



 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment